Wednesday, January 20, 2016

One Reason Why Social Media Bothers Me

I like social media. Facebook, more specifically. There are plenty of things I could point out about it, negative things. But overall, I like it.

Sometimes though...

Sometimes I read things and sometimes I observe things and sometimes I'm saddened by things. People, more specifically. Today is a perfect example.

Most of the time I just read and observe. I don't usually take part in "conversations" or "discussions" that take place on my friends' statuses or photos or other things they share. Usually when I comment, it's not in a serious "debate." (Notice the quotations on some of these words? There's a reason for that.) I don't usually add my opinion because, 9 times out of 10, it's not worth it. It's pointless. I've been there, done that. I don't want to get caught up in the middle of a "discussion" which isn't even really a discussion at all. Because all it really is is people spouting their opinions or viewpoints like it's the Gospel truth, and tearing apart anyone who doesn't agree with them. They claim to be good people, caring people, loving people, kind, intelligent, respectable people. And I don't mean to say that they aren't those things. But what I am saying is that they sure aren't acting kind and loving and respectable when they're attacking and viciously cutting down others with their heavily worded missiles aimed at the ones who dare express a different opinion or belief. And maybe it isn't the best opinion ever. Maybe it is actually a wrong belief. But it's theirs. They have the right to posses it. It's not anyone else's to take from them or destroy. And it's not anyone else's right to tell someone else that they can't believe what they believe. I'm not saying some beliefs aren't misplaced or downright dangerous. Because some are, in extreme circumstances. But in general, and speaking of social media "discussions," it's just really disheartening to see the way human beings treat each other.

My biggest annoyance is when one person, or multiple people, get upset with someone else, or even an idea, and they go on the rampage about how wrong this person or idea is, and in their attempt to "share their side" or what they think the "right" thing is, they turn into complete and total hypocrites. For example, I'll use bullying. Now the first person, he'll be Bill, could be just saying how he feels about a point that was made. Well now Ted feels strongly that his point of view is the correct one and that Bill is just flat out wrong and can't believe he's so stupid to think that way. So, even though Bill may not have been overly kind in his comment about the general topic, he didn't call anyone in particular names or say anything mean to anyone specifically. But Ted launches into a full-on assault, even though he knows nothing about Bill, other than what he allows to be made public on his profile. Ted calls Bill a bully who just tries to intimidate people and has no real education or intelligence. So while Ted is making a fool of himself and rattling off a dozen accusations about someone he doesn't even know, I, the observer, like many others I'm sure, am left wondering, who is the real bully here?

Is it Bill or is it Ted? Or both?

It's a viscous cycle. And it won't end if you, whoever you might be,  keep jumping down throats but expecting others to respond kindly and respectfully to you. And just because someone else attacks you online during a "discussion" doesn't give you the right to do the same to that person, even if they are commenting on something of yours. By all means stand up for yourself and be firm, but resorting to name calling and belittling them is not the answer. They're human too. They should be treated as such. And if they continue causing trouble, block them. That's an actual thing. You can block people you don't want to talk to. It's like magic.

As much as I do enjoy social media, this has always been something that irritates me.  If you're a friend of mine and read this, please don't assume I'm talking about you. This kind of thing is everywhere.

I wish we, as humans, could all treat each other with dignity and respect, even when we disagree. Everyone has differing opinions, values, beliefs, etc., and we all have different reasons for why and how we came to believe the things we do. If we could take a moment to stop and try to understand that, we'd probably all be just a little nicer. Maybe a little more empathetic towards others. Maybe we wouldn't feel the need to always be right and prove our point at any cost. Maybe we'd realize it shouldn't be about that at all, but rather to show kindness and respect. Because at the end of the day, those are things you're gonna feel good about, not how much of a smart ass you were and how you showed them and put them in their place.

I've definitely had my share of Internet arguments. For sure. (I don't recall calling anybody a maggot, though, so at least there's that.) But I don't want to argue with random people online. I don't want to make anyone feel inferior in any way. I think the goal should be to imitate Christ in our interactions with people because he always acted in a way that demonstrated what real love is. It's not always easy. A lot of times it's the opposite of easy. But it is possible. And it's also possible to stand up for yourself in a way that's not degrading to others or an attack on them. So why can't we choose the high road more often? Why can't we try to offer understanding before we press that button?

We can. I can. You can.

XO
B

No comments:

Post a Comment